Monday, February 28, 2011

Vegan Borscht Recipe

My friend, Jessica, made some borscht for us this valentines day. There have been giant beets at the winter farmers market in Brunswick lately, so I thought I try my hand at making my own. It's a super hearty vegetarian dish for a snowy day here in Maine.
Here's what I did;
Ingredients;
4 large beets
2 medium onions
1 small cabbage
5 cups of veggie stock
balsamic vinegar (I used a bunch, but I love it. Add a little, taste, adjust and repeat.)

Boil the beets until semi-tender, about 25 minutes. Strain the water and then dunk the beets into a bowl of cold water, peel them in the water to make the skin come off more easily. Then trim then and cube them. Whatever size you like, just pick a size and try to stick with it.
At this point you may want to take out some pieces for your toddler to munch on... Ok, and some for you too.



Back in the pot saute the onions and beets in a little oil until tender, about 5 minutes. When veggies are soft add stock, vinegar and cabbage. Bring the whole thing up to a boil then down to a simmer. Let simmer for at least an hour, or until you taste it and all the flavors are blended together.

No comments:

Post a Comment